Tangerine: A special 5.10%* interest rate on new deposits to Savings/TFSA/RRSP account from Sep 5 to Nov 30, 2024 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tangerine: A special 5.10%* interest rate on new deposits to Savings/TFSA/RRSP account from Sep 5 to Nov 30, 2024
September 5, 2024
5:03 am
usephrase
Members
Forum Posts: 29
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A special 5.10%* interest rate on new deposits to your eligible Tangerine Savings Account(s), Tax-Free Savings Account(s), RSP Savings Account(s) and US$ Savings Account(s) until November 30, 2024.
1. We’ve totalled up the balances of your eligible Savings as they were on September 4, 2024 to get your total balances per Account Type.
2. From September 5, 2024 to November 30, 2024, you’ll earn your special interest rate on new deposits over your total balances calculated on September 4, 2024 (up to $1,000,000.00† per Account Type)

September 5, 2024
9:21 am
The Rock
Members
Forum Posts: 115

Posted in Insights:

"Sweetness! Your special rate is active.
Remember, You're earning a special interest rate of 5.35%* on new deposits to this Account until November 30, 2024."

September 5, 2024
9:32 am
usephrase
Members
Forum Posts: 29

somebody got 5.35%, 5.15%. I got 5.1%. sf-cool

September 5, 2024
12:48 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 328

or 4.5% offer

September 5, 2024
2:24 pm
JPenterprise
Members
Forum Posts: 52

I got 5.35% today.

September 6, 2024
7:14 am
Rhino
Members
Forum Posts: 20

Just activated 5.35% until November 30, 2024. Very happy with this for the time being sf-cool

September 6, 2024
8:45 am
AdrenalineTrade
Members
Forum Posts: 45

I moved all my money out of Tangerine on August 30th. Just got the special offer of 5.35% until November 30, 2024. My last rate was 5.25%, so I am pleased with this.
sf-laugh

September 6, 2024
1:15 pm
Gogie
Members
Forum Posts: 21

AdrenalineTrade said
I moved all my money out of Tangerine on August 30th. Just got the special offer of 5.35% until November 30, 2024. My last rate was 5.25%, so I am pleased with this.
sf-laugh  

This exact thing happened to me as well. I was at 5.25% until Aug. 31, moved all my money out the end of August and got the 5.35% rate today until Nov. 30.

September 6, 2024
3:10 pm
Doofus888
Members
Forum Posts: 1

Moved my money out of Tang savings on Sept2 after the expiry of my 5.75% rate on Aug31. Just got the offer for 5.35% rate for new deposits from Sept5-Nov30.

September 6, 2024
8:39 pm
leigh
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Ha. On Sept 5th I had a balance of about $0.00 in my regular Savings account.

On Sept 6th, a large GIC matured and paid out into that account. I'm just hoping that will work.

September 6, 2024
9:51 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 7015

leigh said

On Sept 6th, a large GIC matured and paid out into that account. I'm just hoping that will work.

That would depend on the terms and conditions of your 5.10% offer.

That won't work for the offer of 5½% until October 31, 2024 that I'm on. That offer specifically excludes any funds from a Tangerine GIC deposited into an applicable account:

Promotional Interest

5. “Promotional Interest” is the interest earned on Eligible Deposits made to Applicable Accounts each day during the Offer Period. “Eligible Deposits” for any day during the Offer Period is the excess of (i) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type (excluding Promotional Interest) over (ii) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type as at August 6, 2024, to a maximum of $1,000,000 (in the currency of the Applicable Account), subject to the exclusions in Section 10 below.

Exclusions

10. Notwithstanding the above, the following are examples of the types of transactions that won’t qualify as Eligible Deposits and therefore won’t earn Promotional Interest:

a. Transfers or money deposited to a RIF Savings, CSA, Business Savings Account, or US$ Business Savings Account.

b. Money transferred from a [Tangerine] Bank GIC, Investment Fund or Line of Credit to an Applicable Account.

c. Transfers made to any new RSP Savings Account from an existing RSP Savings Account or RSP GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in RSP Savings from August 6, 2024.

September 7, 2024
6:17 am
malquin
Members
Forum Posts: 43

Norman1 said

leigh said

That would depend on the terms and conditions of your 5.10% offer.

That won't work for the offer of 5½% until October 31, 2024 that I'm on. That offer specifically excludes any funds from a Tangerine GIC deposited into an applicable account:

Promotional Interest

5. “Promotional Interest” is the interest earned on Eligible Deposits made to Applicable Accounts each day during the Offer Period. “Eligible Deposits” for any day during the Offer Period is the excess of (i) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type (excluding Promotional Interest) over (ii) the sum of end-of-day balances in all Applicable Accounts per Applicable Account Type as at August 6, 2024, to a maximum of $1,000,000 (in the currency of the Applicable Account), subject to the exclusions in Section 10 below.

Exclusions

10. Notwithstanding the above, the following are examples of the types of transactions that won’t qualify as Eligible Deposits and therefore won’t earn Promotional Interest:

a. Transfers or money deposited to a RIF Savings, CSA, Business Savings Account, or US$ Business Savings Account.

b. Money transferred from a [Tangerine] Bank GIC, Investment Fund or Line of Credit to an Applicable Account.

c. Transfers made to any new RSP Savings Account from an existing RSP Savings Account or RSP GIC resulting in no change to the total Applicable Account balances in RSP Savings from August 6, 2024.

Nice catch.
I moved everything out at the end of august but I still have a Tangerine GIC expiring later this month that I would have moved to my savings account. I'll move this amount somewhere else.

September 7, 2024
6:50 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1520

It's been said a few times in these forums that GIC's maturing to a TNG Checking account will qualify as new deposits when transferred to an HISA with promotional interest.

I opened a Checking account and changed the maturing instructions of all our TNG GIC's to it. I'll be testing the process at the end of Oct as I have two of those GIC's maturing early Oct ...

CGO
September 7, 2024
8:08 am
InterestThis
Members

cgouimet said
It's been said a few times in these forums that GIC's maturing to a TNG Checking account will qualify as new deposits when transferred to an HISA with promotional interest.

I opened a Checking account and changed the maturing instructions of all our TNG GIC's to it. I'll be testing the process at the end of Oct as I have two of those GIC's maturing early Oct ...  

Can verify that in past offers, maturing a GIC into chequing has made it qualify as a new deposit into Savings.

September 7, 2024
9:40 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 856

Just to concur that MOST times this is true. There has been at least one time in the last few years when this was not, but it has been the exception so far, but is not a guarantee.

September 7, 2024
9:58 am
InterestThis
Members

smayer97 said
Just to concur that MOST times this is true. There has been at least one time in the last few years when this was not, but it has been the exception so far, but is not a guarantee.  

Good point, I should have said it has worked in the one's I used, which is only SOME of them. People always need to verify it, as its their money to lose.

September 7, 2024
11:35 am
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 319

smayer97 said

It doesn't matter is it's true, or not. You have nothing to lose by having a maturing GIC deposited into the chequeing account as you can move it to the savings account if the T&C's allow, or transfer the funds to another institution. You do potentially have something to lose by having a GIC mature directly to the savings account.

September 7, 2024
2:35 pm
leigh
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Well, it looks like I was just unlucky having a GIC pay out into the savings account just now. But I really don't see the difference of how a GIC paying out into a chequing account being acceptable when paying into a savings account is not. After all, it would still be money Tangerine already had invested, so not really additional funds. I'll bet they'll close that loophole soon.

Anyhow, I've just tried several times to open another GIC with Tangerine on line and keep getting a "Technical Difficulties" excuse and having it cancelled each time I've almost got there.

So I called them have been waiting for some time now for a call-back. I'm fast becoming disillusioned.

September 7, 2024
4:24 pm
InterestThis
Members

I always make sure to have all GIC's etc, always pay out the chequing acct.
Except TFSA of course.

September 7, 2024
8:42 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 856

JohnnyCash said

It doesn't matter is it's true, or not. You have nothing to lose by having a maturing GIC deposited into the chequeing account as you can move it to the savings account if the T&C's allow, or transfer the funds to another institution. You do potentially have something to lose by having a GIC mature directly to the savings account.  

Agreed that the better choice, and the ultimate conclusion to take away from this part of the discussion, is to always have GICs mature in a chequing account to increase your chance of qualifying for future promos.

My point was simply to make folks aware that even that is not a 100% guarantee of qualifying, though the odds are significantly higher, based on the current track record.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.