Tang tricky offer, 4.50%* to Nov 30, 2024 | Tangerine Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tang tricky offer, 4.50%* to Nov 30, 2024
August 26, 2024
11:40 am
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 349
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Tricky new Tang targeted offer:
- so they say after the activation date, they will send an activation email, that is strange.
- then its based on your balance going back to April 4
- not great

-----------------
on September 4, 2024, we’ll send an email with details about activating this new Savings offer.
Here’s what else you need to know:
• You’ll earn 4.50%* interest from September 1, 2024 until November 30, 2024
•This will apply to existing and new Tangerine Savings Account(s), including RSP, TFSA and US$
•This will apply to the new money you brought to your Account(s) since April 4, 2024

August 26, 2024
12:35 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 2078

Actually Tangerine considers it an 'Extension' ... not a new offer.

They did the same extension (& same method) for me back on Aug. 1st @ 4.60%, that ends on Oct. 31.

No worries ... it all went well. sf-smile

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

August 26, 2024
1:29 pm
InterestThis
Members

Except if you have already moved half your money to greener pastures.
This one is a pass from my pov.

August 27, 2024
3:43 pm
Members
Forum Posts: 12

Wondered if you had a promo expiring August 31? I do , and yet haven't received any offer email yet. Of course, I know, I won't necessarily get one, but have been getting them pretty regularly for some time.

August 27, 2024
4:01 pm
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 335

Newbie said
Wondered if you had a promo expiring August 31? I do , and yet haven't received any offer email yet. Of course, I know, I won't necessarily get one, but have been getting them pretty regularly for some time.  

Have you checked your Insights for an extension offer and your spam inbox?

August 27, 2024
4:28 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3999

Had Tangerine 1-year gic mature today, Insights today shows a "special offer" 180-day gic rate of 5% available until Sept 9 for me, seems like they're personalizing offers more these days.

August 27, 2024
10:02 pm
InterestThis
Members

Newbie said

Yes it's expiring Aug 31.
It came in the form of an email. This might be confirmation bias, but about a week ago, I started clicking all around my account, in terms of transferring out, adding an external bank, moving some out etc. I have done that before to "prime the pump" and make it obvious to the AI software robot that the money might be moved soon, and the offers come!
But this one is too low, so it won't be accepted.
Sometimes that works too, as in a few weeks you get a better offer.
Again, who knows if its just coincidence.

August 28, 2024
7:27 am
Rhino
Members
Forum Posts: 20

It's aggravating that Tangerine is offering different rates to varied customers and no offers to others. Calling their Associates is often hit or miss with extensions and or new offers. My 5.25% rate will expire on August 31, 2024; I called in and am offered 4.30% until December 06, 2024: I passed. So, now in the process of pulling out both USD and CDN. Too much drama!

August 28, 2024
7:45 am
Rhino
Members

Bill said
Had Tangerine 1-year gic mature today, Insights today shows a "special offer" 180-day gic rate of 5% available until Sept 9 for me, seems like they're personalizing offers more these days.  

I haven't gotten this and would accept it if I did. I called just now and spoke with Associate Steven. He agreed that your rate is a "targeted rate" and he can NOT offer me the same. Very strange that Tangerine's marketing team runs the business this way knowing that "untargeted" customers will be pissed off and simply move their money out to another bank (and wait for their next offer or promotion). Tangerine (ING Direct) used to accommodate everyone equally and grew their business exponentially. I guess sole owner Bank of Nova Scotia guides them with their current questionable practices.

August 28, 2024
8:00 am
malquin
Members
Forum Posts: 44

No more special rate extension for me this time.
Started in January, was extended in June at 5.25% until end of August.
Didn't bother calling, don't want to play games, just moved out all my savings.

August 28, 2024
9:02 am
Rhino
Members

malquin said
No more special rate extension for me this time.
Started in January, was extended in June at 5.25% until end of August.
Didn't bother calling, don't want to play games, just moved out all my savings.  

Indeed. Same here. No more games!

August 28, 2024
10:18 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3999

The vast majority of their customers have no idea what other customers are getting, they just know what they're being offered.

They have a marketing department generally not available to customers and then their frontline phone people, they are separate and often have different deals, if any, available for us.

August 28, 2024
11:32 am
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 335

None of us should get upset about Tangerine offers, or the lack thereof. We each have a profile that the call-centre agents see when we call in. That profile likely has any offers noted, if any, and it's likely not at the discretion of the agent to override. I personally don't think Tangerine cares how we feel, it's just business and we should look at it the same way. What's the old ING slogan, " Save your money "? Well, today it's ' Move your money '! There's no rhyme or reason to the targeting of these promotional offers, trying to understand it is pointless.

August 28, 2024
8:43 pm
Moneyman2
Members
Forum Posts: 41

My new offer or email will come on September 4th is 5% down from the 5.50%. I'm moving it out tomorrow to Simplii for 5.50% offer until November 15th. After that who knows.
Duca just offered 5.25% until November 18th, which won't work. I hate these 3-4 month offers but I guess with rates pretty much headed down over the next little while, we should take the best that's offered. GL

August 30, 2024
12:47 pm
InterestThis
Members

Yep, move it, or lose it!

September 4, 2024
9:34 pm
WestCentral
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Tricky indeed! I was on the April - August 5.5% promo, so I moved all funds out at the end of August. So based on what you fine folks posted here, I logged on today to find out if I was included in the extension, and lo and behold, in the Insights I was given an extension offer at 5.15%! Of course I accepted (why not, given today's BoC rate cut?) with the expectation of being excluded from the Tang Lottery winners at the end of November.

I never receive promo emails from Tang for some strange reason, so I had no forewarning other than keeping tabs on this site... yet the low balance warning emails come through just fine. Thanks again everyone!

September 5, 2024
12:51 pm
InterestThis
Members

Did receive a new offer email Sept 4

September 28, 2024
12:48 am
rfdm4g4g9
Members
Forum Posts: 256

I got the same tricky offer. Extension is from October 1, but the activation email will come on October 2 ???

Why not send the activation email on September 30 or on October 1. Why October 2??
_-___----------------------------------------'--'--------

I had the 5.75% new deposit offer from May, 2024 to September 30, 2024. Offer is expiring in a few days.

Got an email yesterday extending the offer from October 1, 2024 to December 31, 2024.

But now the extension is for 5.25% instead of 5.75%.

BOC rates have gone down, so not surprised Tangerine is reducing it's offers too. Good I got the offer, otherwise I was planning to move all the money out on September 30.

------
XXXXXX, on October 2, 2024, we’ll send an email with details about activating this new Savings offer.
Here’s what else you need to know:

You’ll earn 5.25%* interest from October 1, 2024 until December 31, 2024

This will apply to existing and new Tangerine Savings Account(s), including RSP, TFSA and US$

This will apply to the new money you brought to your Account(s) since May 7, 2024

Remember to activate your special rate and keep your new deposits in place to make the most of your offer.

September 28, 2024
1:47 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1227

rfdm4g4g9 said

This will apply to the new money you brought to your Account(s) since May 7, 2024

Take care to note.

September 29, 2024
9:20 am
InterestThis
Members

Tang used to be very simple and direct in these offers.
Now they are adding some tricks and loopholes;
Like the Scotiabank promo's with multiple tiers, balances, accounts, you need a PhD to beat their system.
Maybe Tang will add more of the Scotiabank tricks as time goes on, to give everyone a slight haircut that they hope they don't notice.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.