New client offer - earn 6.25% for 153 days | Page 3 | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New client offer - earn 6.25% for 153 days
September 8, 2024
11:23 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 485
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Norman1 said
Make sure it is a real cheque that is voided and not one of those simulated void cheques that one downloaded.

Simplii will not accept a simulated void cheque or an account info form unless it has been stamped with a teller stamp from the bank.

One also needs to print "add account" and one's customer number in the memo line of the cheque.

Last time I linked an account, the voided cheque was mailed Monday and the link was available by Friday.  

Thanks Norman1. This is such a good forum. People learn a lot and the info makes the various processes less complicated much of the time.

I hadn't mailed in the cheque yet, so I carefully re-opened the envelope...that was easy, it didn't even tear. I thought I might have forgotten the customer number. Also re-read their e-mail. "Status of applications and requests" Follow these three easy steps...
Write VOID across the front of a pre-printed personal cheque from the account you requested followed by your customer number listed in your account summary. OR Get a customized account confirmation form from your financial institution. This document MUST be the original, have a bank stamp, and include the following information. (Name, Bank number, Account number & Transit number.

All the requested information was there. I put the paperwork back in the envelope and taped it shut. I'll mail it later today.

When their Debit card is received, do you know if you phone in to activate and then give a PIN?

September 8, 2024
1:23 pm
usephrase
Members
Forum Posts: 29

I always used Tangerine account -> Move In, to take fund from Simplii chequing account. Move Out, to send fund to Simplii chequing account.

Add an external bank account ( Simplii) in Tangerine , is easy, you can do it in online account.

EQ bank has the same feature as Tangerine.

September 8, 2024
2:26 pm
Hubble
Alberta
Members
Forum Posts: 44

Anyone have any idea if there are limits on how large a cheque can be if one is to deposit by photo to Simplii.
thx

September 8, 2024
2:32 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 7016

Alexandra said

When their Debit card is received, do you know if you phone in to activate and then give a PIN?

My last Simplii banking card activation was done by doing a PIN transaction at a CIBC ATM. There was also the option of doing a PIN transaction using the renewal card at a merchant.

I think that's still the case:

How do I activate my new card?

You can activate your [Simplii Financial Debit Mastercard] card by completing any of the following:

Existing clients:

• Sign on to online or mobile banking with your new card number and existing password
  • Complete a transaction at a point-of-sale (POS) terminal or ATM with your new card and existing Personal Identification Number (PIN)

New clients:

• Activate your card by making a PIN transaction at a POS terminal or ATM
September 8, 2024
2:44 pm
Norman1
Members

Hubble said
Anyone have any idea if there are limits on how large a cheque can be if one is to deposit by photo to Simplii.
thx  

Simplii had posted in July 2020 that the limit was $999,999.99 back then:

Simplii Financial @SimpliiFin

Hi Ryan. The limit for Mobile Deposit is $999,999.99. If your deposit is over $999,999.99, you'll be notified before completing the transaction. If you need to complete a deposit for more than that amount, you can do so at any CIBC ATM. ^Gideon

1:27 PM · Jul 16, 2020

September 8, 2024
5:52 pm
InterestThis
Members
Forum Posts: 328

You can add the Simplii HISA as an external account Tang and transfer direct.

September 8, 2024
6:02 pm
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 319

InterestThis said

In most cases that's true; providing your Tangerine account has an Ontario address in the profile.

September 9, 2024
2:33 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 856

Norman1 said
Make sure it is a real cheque that is voided and not one of those simulated void cheques that one downloaded.

Simplii will not accept a simulated void cheque or an account info form unless it has been stamped with a teller stamp from the bank.

That has not been my experience. I had no problem using onine generated void cheques to link accounts.

September 9, 2024
2:36 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 856

InterestThis said

Just keep in mind that Tangerine limits you to three external links at a time.

September 9, 2024
4:00 pm
JohnnyCash
Members

smayer97 said

Norman1 said

That has not been my experience. I had no problem using onine generated void cheques to link accounts.  

It's definitely a case of YMMV. Over the years its been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Seems to be subject to the person reviewing your request on that particular day.

September 9, 2024
7:41 pm
InterestThis
Members

smayer97 said

Just keep in mind that Tangerine limits you to three external links at a time.  

Right, but its easy to cycle them through as needed once you have the correct numbers worked out and saved. It takes maybe 2 days to activate a new link as long as there are no glitches.
And you can generally make a profit of .24 cents.

September 9, 2024
8:45 pm
usephrase
Members

InterestThis said

Simplii charges any fee if you do " Move in" in Tangerine account to take fund from Simplii HISA?

September 9, 2024
10:33 pm
Norman1
Members

JohnnyCash said

It's definitely a case of YMMV. Over the years its been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Seems to be subject to the person reviewing your request on that particular day.

That's right. One will have problems with Simplii if one tries to link accounts using those simulated void cheques. It is very easy to tell those are not real cheques.

September 10, 2024
10:24 am
InterestThis
Members

usephrase said

Simplii charges any fee if you do " Move in" in Tangerine account to take fund from Simplii HISA?  

Nope, its a bank to bank transfer, so no fee from either side.
But pulling money into Tang, will be subject to standard holds.
Always recommend trying it first with $5 or something.

September 10, 2024
5:23 pm
usephrase
Members

InterestThis said

Nope, its a bank to bank transfer, so no fee from either side.
But pulling money into Tang, will be subject to standard holds.
Always recommend trying it first with $5 or something.  

Thank you

September 14, 2024
9:14 am
Norman1
Members

usephrase said

I would open a Simplii chequing account for that. The Simplii HISA officially supports direct deposits but not pre-authorized debits.

Simplii online banking will generate a direct deposit form for the Simplii HISA and Simplii chequing accounts. But, it won't generate the simulated void cheque for the Simplii HISA to set up preauthorized bill payments.

People have reported that Simplii has not been returning pre-authorized debits against a Simplii HISA. But, one could end up with a nasty surprise should Simplii decide to start blocking the PAD's.

September 14, 2024
10:27 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members

Just an update on the process so far in setting up a HISA with Simplii in order to receive the 6.25%.

Aug 30: Filled out application.
Aug 30: e-mail from Simplii "Thanks for applying, we'll be in touch soon"
Aug 30: e-mail from Simplii "Your account ending in ---- has been auto enrolled in balance alert."
Sept 7: e-mail from Simplii "HISA has been approved"
Sept 7: Secure e-mail from Simplii "You will be banking soon. You are reading to start banking. Gave debit card number with expiry date.
Sept 7: I set up my HISA on line using debit card number.
Sept 7: Sent by snail mail request to link my CIBC chequing account following their "Three Easy Steps".
Sept 9: Received Debit Card in mail. "Pin to follow"
Sept 12: Received secret PIN
Sept 13: Activated new debit card and deposited a $5.00 CIBC cheque into SIMPLII HISA at CIBC ATM. Process went fine.

Now waiting for the linked account to show up on SIMPLII on-line banking.
Note: I have gone into the Simplii account twice now just to check things out and both times, despite giving the correct debit card number and password it would not go in. So, both times I re-set my password with the same password and then
my account finally showed. I called them the first time it wouldn't work and the CSR directed me to change the password using the same one. She then told me that I wouldn't be able to link CIBC without first opening a chequing account with them!!! Man, by this time getting pretty frustrated. I told her that is not the information I was given. Then the phone went dead. A few minutes later she called me back and said she was "sorry for the confusion" and that as long as I linked a CIBC chequing account, it would be accepted. I then asked her to admit she originally told me I couldn't do this and the "confusion" was hers. (calls are recorded) I'm usually not like that but this entire process is unbelievable and I am wondering why I bothered with it all. sf-embarassed

September 14, 2024
10:37 am
JohnnyCash
Members

Alexandra said
I'm usually not like that but this entire process is unbelievable and I am wondering why I bothered with it all. sf-embarassed  

.. for 6.25% ?

September 14, 2024
10:49 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2960

Alexandra said
Just an update on the process so far in setting up a HISA with Simplii in order to receive the 6.25%.

Aug 30: Filled out application.
Aug 30: e-mail from Simplii "Thanks for applying, we'll be in touch soon"
Aug 30: e-mail from Simplii "Your account ending in ---- has been auto enrolled in balance alert."
Sept 7: e-mail from Simplii "HISA has been approved"
Sept 7: Secure e-mail from Simplii "You will be banking soon. You are reading to start banking. Gave debit card number with expiry date.
Sept 7: I set up my HISA on line using debit card number.
Sept 7: Sent by snail mail request to link my CIBC chequing account following their "Three Easy Steps".
Sept 9: Received Debit Card in mail. "Pin to follow"
Sept 12: Received secret PIN
Sept 13: Activated new debit card and deposited a $5.00 CIBC cheque into SIMPLII HISA at CIBC ATM. Process went fine.

Now waiting for the linked account to show up on SIMPLII on-line banking.
Note: I have gone into the Simplii account twice now just to check things out and both times, despite giving the correct debit card number and password it would not go in. So, both times I re-set my password with the same password and then
my account finally showed. I called them the first time it wouldn't work and the CSR directed me to change the password using the same one. She then told me that I wouldn't be able to link CIBC without first opening a chequing account with them!!! Man, by this time getting pretty frustrated. I told her that is not the information I was given. Then the phone went dead. A few minutes later she called me back and said she was "sorry for the confusion" and that as long as I linked a CIBC chequing account, it would be accepted. I then asked her to admit she originally told me I couldn't do this and the "confusion" was hers. (calls are recorded) I'm usually not like that but this entire process is unbelievable and I am wondering why I bothered with it all. sf-embarassed  

I will strongly suggest opening a chequing account as well, even tho you dont plan to use it much if at all. However keep in mind the savings account does NOT allow bill payment, etransfer and other very basic banking functions. By having a chequing account, its much easier if you ever need to access the funds in the savings acct same day for the mentioned activities. I have the chequing account as well for exactly those reasons.

September 14, 2024
11:20 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members

Thanks Savemore,

I might just do that someday. It is great to have the option. Right now I think I'll just stick with the bank to bank transfer with them. Gulp, just ordered 50 cheques from CIBC too. Free though. Probably don't write more than 10 cheques a year. Also, after the 6.25% promo expires, I'll most likely not use SIMPLII very much at all. I have all the features you mentioned currently with Tangerine, CIBC, RBC and I use their credit cards. All bill payments I make through CIBC, whole list of them even MasterCards with Royal and Tangerine.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.