New client offer - earn 6.25% for 153 days | Simplii Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
New client offer - earn 6.25% for 153 days
August 1, 2024
6:09 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1231
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Earn 6.25% for 153 days - New client offer available between August 1, 2024 and October 31, 2024

sf-surprised This will turn some heads

August 1, 2024
6:19 am
kesa
Members
Forum Posts: 222
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

fixed rate or subject to change a la DUCA?

August 13, 2024
3:33 pm
MAC99
Members
Forum Posts: 55

kesa said
fixed rate or subject to change a la DUCA?  

I’ve just called and was that:

The rate is fixed and won’t change during the offer period.

Their online terms indicate otherwise though: “Regular and Promotional Interest rates may change at any time without prior notice.” **

Promo starts the day your account is opened whether there is money in it or not. Limited to $1,000,000.

**Full Terms here after the Chequing account portion: https://www.simplii.com/en/special-offers/no-fee-chequing-account.html

August 13, 2024
3:57 pm
rk
Members
Forum Posts: 77

MAC99 said

I’ve just called and was that:

The rate is fixed and won’t change during the offer period.

Their online terms indicate otherwise though: “Regular and Promotional Interest rates may change at any time without prior notice.” **

Actually, the terms confirm what the CSR said: the special rate (6.25%) is fixed:
"Any change to the Regular Interest rate (or the applicable interest rate tier) will result in a corresponding change to the Promotional Interest rate so that the special annual interest rate will remain constant for the Promotional Rate Period."

I am taking advantage of this offer, so I will keep an eye on the rate. If anything changes, I will report it. Since I have opened a joint account it took a bit longer ... but I still have quite a bit left from the 153 days. This is much better than the 5.5% for 3 months offer which I had from Tangerine. At least, it appears to be at this time.

August 13, 2024
7:05 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9369

Thanks for posting!

If this offer really does continue through Oct, then I might have to overcome my long-held aversion to Simplii!

I have to wonder though, what is the back story? Why are they making such an offer, well above other available promos, at a time when rates are falling? What is going on?
Comments?

If I accept this offer in October, I will have had exceptional HISA/short term deposit rates at a few FIs sequentially for almost 3 years (and possibly more to come). I think this would have exceeded a 3 yr GIC and has been substantially more flexible. We are still in rate inversion, but that doesn't seem like much of an explanation.

August 14, 2024
8:26 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 7015

Loonie said

I have to wonder though, what is the back story? Why are they making such an offer, well above other available promos, at a time when rates are falling? What is going on?
Comments?

… We are still in rate inversion, but that doesn't seem like much of an explanation.

It's a promotion to attract new clients for Simplii.

Simplii is also offering $500 to those who become a Simplii client after January 31, open a Simplii chequing account now, and start certain direct deposits to the new chequing account.

August 14, 2024
12:05 pm
Loonie
Members

Yes, I realize they intend to attract new clients, but they could do that with less than 6.25 for 5 months.. There's something else going on. Do they anticipate a big market for short term high-priced loans? Are they trying to edge out RBC and TD? Are they concerned about smaller competitors? etc. There has to be a specific reason for this unusual promo at a time when rates are generally declining.

August 15, 2024
4:06 pm
Norman1
Members

I suspect Simplii does need to offer something like 6.25% to get people to try them out.

5% or 5.75% is not exciting enough for people to go through the onboarding when people may already have access to a 5.5% savings account offer reported here.

Online-only offerings like Simplii don't compete with full-service offerings like RBC Royal Bank or TD Canada Trust. Different set of customers.

When CIBC partnered with Loblaw for PC Financial consumer banking in 1996, some people thought that would crater the market for traditional full service consumer banking and its service fees. That would including CIBC's own traditional consumer banking business.

Decades later, nothing like that happened. Over that time, RBC Royal Bank actually raised the fee on its Signature banking package from around $12/month to $16.

August 15, 2024
4:43 pm
Loonie
Members

Maybe that's what Simplii is trying to do,but I have to wonder who will bite or even know about it.

I'm under the impression that most people on this forum who might be interested already have accounts there. And we make a lousy target market because we're mostly interested in promos.

Maybe they should consider improving service quality instead. I've read too many complaints, which is why I've never opened an account thus far.

I'm an active CIBC account holder, and a glance at account activity would tell them that my money is going to other smaller FIs, some full service and some not, some banks and some CUs. I stay where I am treated reasonably well and get better rates; and occasionally I will hold my nose for an inferior FI that pays exceptional rate. Simplii could have a chunk if their reputation was better, but maybe they ust want to focus on savings/chequing? CIBC is forever sending me credit card offers but never suggests I bank with Simplii, where they have proven reason to believe I might park more money; it slips through their fingers every month.

I would have thought there would be lots of people who weren't as fussy as I who would have been glad of 6%, never mind 6.25, and don't know they could get over 5% elsewhere but maybe not. I've just been going through some old copies of MoneySense magazine, before throwing them out, and am reminded of all the bad decisions people can make!

August 18, 2024
7:04 pm
Norman1
Members

The 6.25% for 153 days is generous. At the same time, only certain people can take advantage of the rate. Only those who open the Simplii HISA within 60 days of becoming a Simplii client, by opening any Simplii product, can qualify:

2. Eligibility

To be eligible for this HISA Offer, you must:

1. Be a new client with no prior relationship with Simplii Financial (a “New Simplii Client”). To become a Simplii Financial client, you must apply and be approved for a Simplii Financial product. When you apply for your first Simplii Financial product, we will create a unique client identification number for you (your “Client Number”); and
  2. Open a HISA for the first time as the primary accountholder during the Offer Period and within 60 days after your Client Number was created (“Eligible HISA”).

Full-service branch banking CIBC is not going send people to their online-only no-monthly-fee Simplii division. Just like Empire's flagship Sobey stores aren't going to send people to Empire's discount Fresh Co stores.

Attracting short-term deposits isn't a big challenge for CIBC. The Simplii no-fee chequing and savings accounts help bring clients in. Hopefully, the new clients will also apply for their credit card, apply for a loan, apply for a mortgage, or invest in their mutual funds.

August 19, 2024
9:17 pm
Loonie
Members

They are a very 'hopeful' organization, then!

By not offering me Simplii, CIBC is shooting itself in the foot. A lot of money runs through my CIBC account every month - to other FIs for longer deposits; only the day-to-day portion ever remains at CIBC. Not that I really care either as I can find these Simplii offers myself.

August 23, 2024
9:56 pm
Norman1
Members

Yes, CIBC is very hopeful as most of the people who try out Simplii won't end up applying for their Simplii credit card or investing in their Simplii mutual funds.

Better to let competitors have pay the 4.25%+ for five-year deposits, for example, than CIBC, which can pay just 3.7% to 3.8% for five-year deposits. That extra cost to competitors hobbles the competitors' feet!

August 24, 2024
10:35 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 485

If I open a HISA with Simpli say on the 15th of October, would I receive the 6.25% interest for 153 days starting on the 15th.....or does the 6.25% end on the 31st of October?

I know, probably seems like a silly question, but I am honestly not sure. Ideally, I would like to keep my funds @ Tangerine currently earning 5.75% until around 15 days before the offer expiry date of 31 October and then send to Simpli for the next five months. Thanks.

August 24, 2024
11:35 am
Norman1
Members

You'll receive promotional interest for 153 days from the day the Simplii HISA is opened:

1. Promotional Rate Period

If you meet the eligibility criteria and other conditions described in these Terms, the balance of your Eligible HISA (up to $1,000,000) will earn Promotional Interest (defined below) for 153 days (which is about 5 months) from the date the HISA was opened (the "Promotional Rate Period").

The "Promotional Rate Period" is not the same as the "Offer Period" (August 1, 2024 12:00 am UTC to October 31, 2024 11:59 pm UTC).

Simplii reserves the right to cancel the offer any time. So, the offer may not be still around to accept should one wait until October 15:

4. Restrictions

… Simplii Financial reserves the right to cancel or change the terms of the HISA Offer at any time, for any reason, without notice and revoke the HISA Offer for any customer who appears to be manipulating or abusing the HISA Offer, or is engaged in any suspicious/fraudulent activity. …

August 24, 2024
11:56 am
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 485

Norman1 said
You'll receive promotional interest for 153 days from the day the Simplii HISA is opened:

1. Promotional Rate Period

If you meet the eligibility criteria and other conditions described in these Terms, the balance of your Eligible HISA (up to $1,000,000) will earn Promotional Interest (defined below) for 153 days (which is about 5 months) from the date the HISA was opened (the "Promotional Rate Period").

The "Promotional Rate Period" is not the same as the "Offer Period" (August 1, 2024 12:00 am UTC to October 31, 2024 11:59 pm UTC).

Simplii reserves the right to cancel the offer any time. So, the offer may not be still around to accept should one wait until October 15:

4. Restrictions

… Simplii Financial reserves the right to cancel or change the terms of the HISA Offer at any time, for any reason, without notice and revoke the HISA Offer for any customer who appears to be manipulating or abusing the HISA Offer, or is engaged in any suspicious/fraudulent activity. …

Thanks Norman. I thought that probably was the case and reading the "Promotional Rate Period" you just posted confirms.
I am really hesitant now about opening yet another account with any financial institution. I've got so many and have been trying to "downsize" Chasing the dollar just isn't as important (or necessary) to me as it once was. Difficult though to turn down 6.24% right now. Habit's are difficult to break. sf-smile

August 24, 2024
12:58 pm
Loonie
Members

Competitors have not been hobbled. It seems more likely that CIBC now sees them as a threat, so Simplii is trying to lure their customers with this unusual offer.
CIBC had to join their ranks with the invention of Simplii, GICs or not. However, I think CIBC sees no value to them in people like me putting money in Simplii, even though it's very obvious that I'm not going to put it into CIBC per se. Maybe they'll figure it out one of these days but they probably prefer the lower hanging fruit They frequently push their credit cards etc at me. I imagine people with credit scores over 850 are hard to come by.

August 24, 2024
10:33 pm
everhopeful
Members
Forum Posts: 145

Because you are a CIBC client, I don't think you will ever get anything Simplii marketed to you. They would much rather keep you under their main brand than risk you downgrading to their no fee accounts. I'm doubting Scotiabank clients get Tang marketing, and CWB clients probably don't get Motive marketing.

The same thing happens in telecom, with Telus/Koodo/Public mobile, Bell/Virgin/Lucky mobile, and Rogers/Fido/chatr. They may always try to market up to their main brand, but they probably never market main brand users down to the flanker brands.

Thats why this site and forum is so awesome sf-smile no great offer goes unnoticed by us savvy savers, and we can share any nickels and dimes that our banking overlords decide to toss back down to us.

As a Simplii client, the fact they are able to throw so many offers to new clients and hardly anything to us that have been with them since the days before the Loblaws divorce kind of irks me. It has been my day-to-day account for so many years, but with Wealthsimple offering me $100 to switch over my direct deposit (plus .5% bonus on the cash account) it will cease to be my daily driver account. If no competitive savings offers appear before the end of the year, I will probably close everything. Maybe someday they will consider me a "new client".

The Big 5 bank on us being lazy and hesitant to change I think thats why the Big 5 main brands don't even try to compete on rates, and Tang & Simplii just throw teaser rates that are time limited, new money only, and only targeted clients. I am getting tired of them taking us for granted.

August 26, 2024
7:23 pm
Norman1
Members

Loonie said
Competitors have not been hobbled. It seems more likely that CIBC now sees them as a threat, so Simplii is trying to lure their customers with this unusual offer.
CIBC had to join their ranks with the invention of Simplii, GICs or not. …

The competitors have been hobbled. The higher deposit rates competitors, like Home Trust, pay force them, to focus on non-prime mortgages that the banks, like CIBC, have turned down. There isn't enough of a spread on prime mortgages to make it worth Home Trust's while.

Simplii is what remains after Loblaw ended their banking joint venture with CIBC. Bank of Montreal had a similar banking venture with Sobey's. But, BMO decided not to keep it going after the venture ended.

There's no consequences for the large branch financial institutions to not bother with the online-only banking channel. Desjardins closed online-only Zag Bank with no consequences. Royal Bank closed the online-only Ally with no consequences after it acquired Ally Canada for its auto financing business.

The Simplii offer is just normal marketing activity. Just like RBC Royal Bank is offering a free Apple iPad if one is willing try out their $16.95/month or $30/month banking package until at least September 30, 2025.

August 26, 2024
9:13 pm
Loonie
Members

Home Trust has established its loan business specifically to serve the market that is not served by the big banks. I don't see that as being hobbled at all as they are not in the same business as the big banks.
Sometimes, as in the case of Ally, it appears that a big bank bought them up in order to close down competition. Perhaps they are now doing the same with HSBC.
I have no recollection of the Sobey's venture, so can't comment on that.

Several years ago the banking experts were saying that the small ones with online access and better savings rates would never exceed 3% of the market, and I think they are determined to keep it that way. I wonder what the ratio is now. It's clearly a market the big guys watch closely. They buy them up if they become a threat, or want their customer list or technology, seems to me. Everything has its price.

In any event, I haven't heard anything that justifies the need to offer 6.25

None of them yet offer what I would consider an excellent online operation. This is still a new area. Some will succeed and others will fail.

August 28, 2024
2:53 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1112

Norman1: Ally (GMAC/Resmor) was never an online-only bank. I don't even know if they had an online interface when they first appeared. But I always dealt with them over the phone and they were great - and they never mentioned online service, let alone trying to force me to it.

Ally always answered the phone without a wait, and their agents were knowledgeable and careful to make sure I and they understood matters correctly. And they offered the same rates to everyone, without trickery or teasers.

Their Canadian operations were definitely bought out by Royal Bank of Canada to put them out of business, though they'd been hit badly by a major Ponzi fraud and weakened. Other parts of Ally continue without the Canadian retail banking.

RBC took over and respected the terms of my Ally holdings, but they tried their darnedest to force me into fee-paid accounts or withdrawal fees, even repeatedly denying that free pre-authorized withdrawals exited until I had my other FI call them and summon the amount.

I do miss them. Particularly for their monthly compounding and interest-payout (which allowed me to keep a 5-year term just under the CDIC insurance limit), and of course their great no-haggle rates.

RetirEd

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.