Motive Savvy Savings account changes effective 14 July, 2024 | Page 2 | Motive Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Motive Savvy Savings account changes effective 14 July, 2024
July 14, 2024
8:20 am
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 316
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hmm...just had a look at their website, the Savvy Savings account details have yet to be updated with the changes. What struck me was the Cha Ching Chequing account seems to have disappeared, perhaps all part of the master plan?

July 14, 2024
1:52 pm
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 992

JohnnyCash said
Hmm...just had a look at their website, the Savvy Savings account details have yet to be updated with the changes. What struck me was the Cha Ching Chequing account seems to have disappeared, perhaps all part of the master plan?  

Savvy account details: https://www.motivefinancial.com/en/savvy-savings-account

Checking accounts shown on Rates Page: https://www.motivefinancial.com/en/rates

Stephen

July 14, 2024
3:30 pm
JohnnyCash
Members

Nehpets said

Savvy account details: https://www.motivefinancial.com/en/savvy-savings-account

Checking accounts shown on Rates Page: https://www.motivefinancial.com/en/rates

Stephen  

Looks like the Cha Ching chequing account has been grandfathered too along with the regular Savings account. Anyone know what happens to the existing debit cards that are defaulted to the Cha Ching chequing account, will they be automatically reprogrammed to default to the Savvy Savings account?

July 14, 2024
4:31 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1213

JohnnyCash said

Looks like the Cha Ching chequing account has been grandfathered too along with the regular Savings account. Anyone know what happens to the existing debit cards that are defaulted to the Cha Ching chequing account, will they be automatically reprogrammed to default to the Savvy Savings account?  

My Cha Ching checking account is still there, which should mean my existing Motive debit card is still linked to it.

July 14, 2024
5:43 pm
JohnnyCash
Members

Alexandre said

My Cha Ching checking account is still there, which should mean my existing Motive debit card is still linked to it.  

Yeah, debit cards typically allow for two accounts to be assigned to it, one in position #1, often called chequing and the other #2 , savings. When you tap a card it is always debiting position #1. If you want to debit the account associated with #2 at a POS ( Point of Sale ), you need to manually select the savings key and enter a PIN.

July 15, 2024
9:33 am
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 2037

mustang said

My snail mail letter just arrived today. It is dated July 1  

Dean said

Ditto ⬆

I wonder if this is all leading up to a 'New & Improved' Motive Savvy Savings Account ... with a Much Lower interest rate.

I wouldn't be surprised. sf-confused

Dean

I received that Same notice via email 2day. Apparently, their Marketing Dept. felt a Duplicate notice was necessary ... LOL sf-laugh

Now if they'd only clean up their Mess of a HickBilly Website. Especially those *&^%$# parts dealing with their GICs. They've been promising that for over a Year now, but so far ... NADAsf-confused

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

July 15, 2024
1:32 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1230

I agreed with JohnnyCash post #23. I try to open new Motive Chequing Account after sign-on under Account Services, it is no longer available.

July 15, 2024
7:29 pm
everhopeful
Members
Forum Posts: 142

Got this in my email today:

Great news!
Now, when you use your Motive Savvy Savings® account as your everyday account, you'll notice some exciting new enhancements designed to improve your banking experience, including free unlimited transactions, free e-transfers and no ATM fees!*

Here’s how the best savings account just got better:
[image of chart in post #1]

Find all the ways to transfer funds easily to your Savvy Savings® account here. Connect your pay cheque to your Savvy account to earn more on every dollar, pay your bills through Savvy and send e-transfers whenever you need to for free.

Thank you for being a valued client at Motive Financial. We look forward to helping you grow your money faster.

Sincerely,

Tal Zisu
Head of Motive Financial

Gee, you could have saved some trees and postage by just sending us this rather than the letter sf-smile

With that wording, there is no doubt that they are in the boxing ring with the WS cash account now. Which is awesome, neither one can introduce fees or limitations without fear of folks churning over to the other.

Going to be really interesting to see what happens when National Bank gets approval and takes over CWB and Motive. They are a traditional fee-loving institution and they might look at us Savvy freeloaders as fee potential or unwanted baggage.

July 15, 2024
9:40 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4263

JohnnyCash said

Their regular Motive Savings account has disappeared and Is no longer available to new applications, those that already have it are grandfathered.

I suspect they realize they need to take it up a notch or two if they want to stay in the game. They've been pushing hard on the GIC's for several months now.

What's most interesting is this is happening after the announced National Bank acquisition. You would think if CWB were going to wind down the Motive division, why bother with these changes now.  

This is likely spot on. CWB originally had two savings accounts, and their original Motive Savings account offered a lower interest rate but unlimited transactions.

At the end of the day, with only ~$500 million in deposits, Motive Financial is very small potatoes. Tangerine, Simplii, Wealthsimple, and the like aren't worried about them. 😉

Cheers,
Doug

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.