Motive 5.5% 120 day GIC offer expires July 31, 2024 | Motive Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Motive 5.5% 120 day GIC offer expires July 31, 2024
May 28, 2024
1:38 pm
Alexandra
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 488
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just got a phone call from Motive asking me if I'm going to invest in their 120 day GIC @5.5% because their offer is going to end this Friday.

First time ever I've got a phone call from them. Receive information e-mails but no phone calls.

They thanked me for investing with them. sf-wink

June 3, 2024
7:15 am
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 651

This GIC promo for 5.50% for 120 days has been extended to July 31, 2024, so the thread heading should be updated.

June 3, 2024
7:26 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1433

GR said
This GIC promo for 5.50% for 120 days has been extended to July 31, 2024, so the thread heading should be updated.  

Updated; thanks!

June 3, 2024
10:14 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1240

New money for this extension is defined as funds not held on deposit with Motive Financial prior to April 1, 2024.

June 3, 2024
11:16 am
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 2077

I received an email from them this morning, about this same offer/promotion.

I replied back that they Won't see anymore new money from me (regardless of how good their offers might be) until they; Clean Up Their Act, and their *&^%$# HickBilly Website ❗

Dean sf-confused

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

June 3, 2024
11:45 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3999

I've got the last 120-dayer coming due in a week or so, so I'll move it out and back in, happy to take advantage of this extension for another 4 months. I like Motive, always had good experiences with them.

June 3, 2024
3:02 pm
Moneyman2
Members
Forum Posts: 41

Where do you see 5.50%? I see 4.15% for 120 days on their app. I have Duca @6% for 1 more month and Tangerine @5.50% until Aug 31. We shall see what transpires on Wednesday with the Bank of Canada. I think they continue to hold rates where they are for now. GL

June 3, 2024
6:14 pm
Dean
Members

Moneyman . . .

If you scroll down to their 120 Day Term listing, it still shows a 'Special Offer'
of 5.50% https://www.motivefinancial.com/en/rates

Dean

P.S.
I'm guessing the BoC will make a small Cut on Wednesday,
but odds are 50/50 they won't. Wednesday will tell, eh ❗ sf-smile

June 3, 2024
7:15 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 7078

120-day GIC special describes the offer.

The 120-day GIC is 5½% for new money only. For money already at Motive before April 1, the 120-day GIC will earn the regular 4.15%.

Get your special 5.50% interest rate now, with three simple steps:

1. Open a Motive Savvy Savings or Cha-ching Chequing account online with no set-up or monthly fees. If you’ve already got one, carry on!
  2. Transfer the funds you want to invest from another Canadian financial institution into your preferred non-registered Motive account.
  3. Call Motive at 1-877-441-2249 to purchase your GIC.

I have funds in my Motive account that I want to purchase this GIC with. Can I use existing money in my Motive account?

No. This special interest rate only applies to funds not held on deposit at Motive Financial prior to April 1, 2024.

June 4, 2024
3:54 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 874

Moneyman2 said
... We shall see what transpires on Wednesday with the Bank of Canada. I think they continue to hold rates where they are for now. GL  

Dean said
P.S.
I'm guessing the BoC will make a small Cut on Wednesday,
but odds are 50/50 they won't. Wednesday will tell, eh ❗ sf-smile  

Though the short-term CDN Bond market has been moving down slightly over the last 8 months, since Oct 2023, it does not look like the market has not moved enough to allow the BoC to adjust rates down quite yet by the next meeting. Odds are highly likely they will hold.

(Meanwhile, the US short-term bond market has been moving up since the end of January, so they will definitely hold at the next meeting Jun 12).

June 5, 2024
9:38 am
Dean
Members

Smayer97 . . .

Unfortunately, your "highly likely" didn't pan out.

Rats sf-confused

Dean

June 5, 2024
12:06 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 874

Well the reality is that the market had moved for months downward WELL ahead of any CoB direction, and as of a few days ago the market had moved just to the borderline that barely gave the CoB enough room to manoeuvre. BUT literally hours BEFORE the announcement, the market decided to move down further giving the CoB the room to then make the move to adjust the rate down. That is very clear from the review of the timing of all events.

June 13, 2024
4:54 pm
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 247

From Motive:
To be eligible for this 120D GIC Offer, you must :
- be a new Motive client or be an existing Motive client transferring funds to Motive from another financial institution;
and
- buy a GIC with new money. New Money is defined as funds not held on deposit with Motive Financial prior to April 1, 2024.

Does this mean that if one has $10k in a savings account at Motive on 31 March, transfers this amount out on 1 April and transfers in $50k from an external bank after 3 June and opens a $50k 120 day GIC on 4June, the 5.5% over 120 days only applies on $40k?

June 13, 2024
6:50 pm
everhopeful
Members
Forum Posts: 148

You should get the rate on the full amount. On a previous iteration of this promotion with same wording, the rep on the phone actually encouraged me to transfer funds to my external account, and then back in so that it counted as "new money".

A question I have is... will this offer extend to July 31 still? Now that the handshakes have been made between CWB and NB, there is a lot less "motive" for them to run these promos to attract new funds.

June 13, 2024
7:30 pm
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 247

Thanks for that. I will call them to get the same confirmation. Until NB actually goes through with the purchase, in about 1.5 yrs, it should be business as usual at Motive, so yes I think they will keep it going until July 31.

Please write your comments in the forum.