120D GIC 5.25% offer until Oct 31, 2024 | Motive Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
120D GIC 5.25% offer until Oct 31, 2024
August 5, 2024
7:16 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1231
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

As per thread title. I think this may be Motive's strategic spot to compete for non-registered short-term deposits. ... does give me choice.

My perspective changed

August 5, 2024
2:02 pm
rodeworthy
Members
Forum Posts: 195
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

hwyc said
As per thread title. I think this may be Motive's strategic spot to compete for non-registered short-term deposits. ... does give me choice.

This looked very appealing to me as I have a 120d GIC maturing at Motive mid-October.

Alas, checking further, the 120d 5.25% offer is for new money only - same as the previous offer I took advantage of.

If I were able to scratch together enough additional cash to take advantage of this special and then withdraw my maturing GIC after that, could I be penalized considering Motive's objective is to increase deposits?

Under the stated conditions and current rates, the original 120d GIC will be leaving Motive upon maturity anyway, so their objective is short-lived.

I will dig further into the T&C for these promotions with the hope I can 'extend' my investment another 120d - which could be good for both Motive and me. I would prefer to do this with the original investment but adding more money with the intent to withdraw the original investment at maturity works as well.

August 5, 2024
2:18 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members

I did swapping as well when I tried to meet the previous July 31st timeline, since my GIC matured in August. Motive did require phone in to purchase these 120D terms. If one abuse the new money requirement with the maneuver, the agent may spot the pattern & denies your purchase.

August 14, 2024
9:15 am
MAC99
Members
Forum Posts: 55

rodeworthy said

hwyc said
---cut----

Alas, checking further, the 120d 5.25% offer is for new money only - same as the previous offer I took advantage of.
---cut--

You can create new money by moving it out of Motive and then right back in.

August 14, 2024
7:33 pm
everhopeful
Members
Forum Posts: 145

If you haven't maxed your TFSA for the year, this would be the perfect time to place it in this GIC special... it would mature in mid-December giving ample time to transfer out of TFSA before end of year (to get contribution room back in January)

August 16, 2024
3:04 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members

TFSA crossed my mind. Unfortunately the offer is for non-registered GICs.

August 16, 2024
3:58 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 2045

But it's too bad their website is Still a 'Dogs Breakfast'. sf-confused

And with No Hope for change, in sight.

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

August 16, 2024
5:40 pm
JohnnyCash
Members
Forum Posts: 319

Dean said
But it's too bad their website is Still a 'Dogs Breakfast'. sf-confused

And with No Hope for change, in sight.

Dean

Their website may end up being the least of your worries if NB shuts it down. I suppose it will also bring an end to the complaints.

August 17, 2024
6:29 am
hwyc
GTA
Members

Over the years, I've seen 'so-called' system upgrade(s) from other FIs, mostly just a skin change. On a different note, I quite liked Motive's one statement for *all* account types, & including GICs.

September 15, 2024
11:07 pm
Lamaison
Members
Forum Posts: 27

I'm confused about how Motive specifies the terms of the 120 day GIC offer. They state that it can apply to "funds not held on deposit with Motive Financial prior to June 1, 2024". I presume this refers to your account balances (?) as of that date (not anytime prior) and if new funds are deposited which brings balances above that of June 1 they can be entered into a 120 day GIC - is this what they're saying?? Or can any amounts deposited after June 1 be used towards a GIC regardless of any withdrawals that may have been made or are planned?

For example, say my balance on June 1 was $100K. If I deposit an additional $100K after June 1, it alone can be used to purchase a GIC, but what will be the effect of this on the original June 1 balance funds - can they be withdrawn or is it also basically untouchable for the 120 day period as well as the period since June 1? Very confusing. I hope someone can understand what I'm trying to say - or what they are saying!! I would phone but have had very bad wait times in the past as well as some bad information provided.

September 16, 2024
4:19 am
zgic
Members
Forum Posts: 140

Lamaison said
I would phone but have had very bad wait times in the past as well as some bad information provided.  

But would it not be very simple to just move your funds to another FI and bring it back? Will it not work?
If it does not work that means the June 1 date is a moving date. So their next offer they will be changing the June 1 date.
I did my first 120 day GIC with them last week so not very familiar with their process.

September 16, 2024
9:59 am
MAC99
Members

I routinely move the money out of Motive to TD and back to Motive and it’s then considered “new money”.

September 16, 2024
10:02 am
MAC99
Members

Lamaison said
I'm confused about how Motive specifies the terms of the 120 day GIC offer. They state that it can apply to "funds not held on deposit with Motive Financial prior to June 1, 2024". I presume this refers to your account balances (?) as of that date (not anytime prior) and if new funds are deposited which brings balances above that of June 1 they can be entered into a 120 day GIC - is this what they're saying?? Or can any amounts deposited after June 1 be used towards a GIC regardless of any withdrawals that may have been made or are planned?

For example, say my balance on June 1 was $100K. If I deposit an additional $100K after June 1, it alone can be used to purchase a GIC, but what will be the effect of this on the original June 1 balance funds - can they be withdrawn or is it also basically untouchable for the 120 day period as well as the period since June 1? Very confusing. I hope someone can understand what I'm trying to say - or what they are saying!! I would phone but have had very bad wait times in the past as well as some bad information provided.  

Existing funds with Motive remain accessible for withdrawal. The new deposit is eligible to be placed in a 120 day locked in GIC.

September 16, 2024
10:27 am
zgic
Members
Forum Posts: 140

MAC99 said
I routinely move the money out of Motive to TD and back to Motive and it’s then considered “new money”.  

Scenario: I have matured GIC funds deposited in the savings account as of yesterday from an older 120 day GIC with Motive. I withdraw them to another FI (2 days) and move it back to Motive (5 days) and they will be considered as "new money" and I can create a new 120 day GIC with that same amount?
Thanks

Please write your comments in the forum.